Sunday, December 27, 2015

Surgery Was A Success


I don't remember much pre-surgery.  I lost 8 pounds in the two weeks leading up to surgery on the protein shake diet that was prescribed.  At the hospital I had to wash with special wipes to help avoid
infection and then wait.  As I was getting wheeled to the OR I heard the nurse say "OK, I gave you something to relax you".  That's the last thing I remember.   

I woke up in recovery and shortly there after I was wheeled to my room.  I was in a lot of pain,  I found out before surgery that I had a hiatal hernia.  So it was no surprise to me that it was fixed.  The surprise was that, in the doctor's words, "It was a very large hernia".  It as also been the source of my pain since surgery.  If I do not take the pain pills then it is very hard to breathe.  

I came home Christmas Eve.  I sleep a lot more than I am used to.  I also started the pureed phase of the diet.  It hurts.  It does not hurt my stomach, it hurts my hernia repair.  I can feel every swallow as it goes through my esophagus. passed the diaphragm, and in to my stomach. I eat slowly.  Each day is getting a little better.  

Side Note:  The nurse who removed my staples before leaving the hospital was using the tool wrong and made some incisions worse.   When they go to remove your staples, make sure that the side with the two prongs is on the bottom and the one prong is on top.  Trust me, it is important.  Thanks to this nurse I now have to check my incisions and put antibiotic cream on them because she has two of them very inflamed.  Also, when the nurses take your morphine away DO NOT be afraid to ask for pain meds.  I don't care how cranky the nurse seems, you needs to pain control.



No comments:

Post a Comment